Monday, February 23, 2009

Lentil Red Pepper Soup

This is such a yummy recipe, and pretty healthy too.  

1 16 oz package lentils, rinsed, drained and picked over
2 medium onions chopped
2 large carrots, chopped (I always add more)
2 celery stalks, chopped (wasn't in original recipe but I added some last time and it was good)
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
16 oz Italian ground sausage, browned
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 4 oz can diced green chilies
1 cup roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained and pureed

In a 5 quart slow cooker, mix together the lentils, onions, carrots, celery, broth and water.  I also added a little salt and Mrs. Dash.

Cover and cook on low setting 8-9 hours until the lentils are tender.  Stir in the cumin, cayenne pepper, green chilies, red pepper puree, and browned sausage.  Season with salt to taste.   Increase heat to high setting and cook 15 minutes longer.  Enjoy!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sherri said...

I need to make this before the weather gets too hot for soup!

March 11, 2009 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home