Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Indian Mulligatawney

To tell you the truth, I haven't tried this recipe yet, because my stomach just won't really allow most anything. BUT...I got the recipe from a VERY credible source, one of the best cooks I know, my Aunt Julie. She said her family all loves this soup. So, here it is and I will try it myself in two months when I can look at food without becoming sick :) Let me know how it goes if any of you try it :)

1 tbsp. oil

2 tbsp. butter

¾ cup chopped onion

¾ cup chopped carrot

¾ cup chopped celery

2/3 cup chopped green pepper

½ cup chopped turnip

¾ cup chopped apple (I use Granny Smith)

2 tsp. salt

½ tsp crushed red pepper

1 ½ tsp curry powder

6 cups chicken stock

1 tbsp cornstarch

¼ cup cold water

¼ cup tomato paste

2 cups diced cooked chicken

1 ½ cup pureed garbanzo beans (use canned, drained garbanzo beans-puree in food processor or blender)

Chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil and butter in saucepan. Add chopped vegetables and apples, salt, red pepper and curry powder. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are almost tender.

Meanwhile, heat stock to boiling point. Make a smooth paste of cornstarch and water. Add to stock, stirring constantly, until stock returns to boil. Add sauteed vegetables and remaining ingredients, except parsley. Heat to serving temperature. Serve garnished with chopped parsley.

1 Comments:

Blogger Whitney said...

Horray! Indian! I haven't been onto this blog in a couple weeks- I'm sad abt. that but I've just been having a CRAZY life lately... anyway, I was happy to see this recipe waiting for me. I will try it!!

January 26, 2007 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home