Monday, February 12, 2007

chocolate filled cream puffs

Hi,
I'm new to the blog and so excited to be a part of it! Jami told me about it today...I've been looking for something like this for a while. I decided for my first post to include a recipe for chocolate filled cream puffs, I made these last weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how simple and delicious they were.

Chocolate Filled Cream Puffs

1 c. water
1/2 c. butter or margerine
1/4 t. salt
1 c. all-purpose flour
4 eggs
chocolate cream filling (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Bring water and salt to a boil in med. saucepan. Add flour; stir vigorously over low heat about 1 min. or until mixture leaves side of pan and forms a ball. Remove from heat; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until smooth and velvety. Drop dough by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 35-40 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. While still warm, horizontally slice off small portion of tops; Remove any soft dough inside; cool.

Prepare chocolate cream filling; fill cream puffs. Replace tops; dust with powdered sugar. Chill.

*I put dough in a ziploc and snipped off the end of one corner and piped them onto the pan (I recommend slightly greasing the pan as mine stuck a little). I used melted chocolate chips to drizzle over the top when completed before sifting powdered sugar on tops.

Chocolate Cream Filling

1 1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. cocoa
1/3 c. cornstarch
1/4 t. salt
3 c. milk
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 T. butter or margerine
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract

Combine granulated sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt in medium saucepan; stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually stir small amount of chocolate mixture into egg yolks; blend well. Return egg mixture to chocolate mixture in pan; stir and heat just until boiling. Remove from heat; blend in 2 T. butter and vanilla. Pour into bowl; press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Cool.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jami said...

Yeah, I'm so glad you posted and I'll have you know that I am going to make these for desert tomorrow. I hope they turn out....

February 13, 2007 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home