Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Cheesy Squash Casserole

I was looking on foodnetwork.com for a recipe to use up a bunch of squash from my garden and came across this.  I think it is from Paula Deen.  It was delicious, I will definitely make it again.  I didn't have a sleeve of Ritz crackers so I just melted some butter and added Panko (or you could use breadcrumbs) to make a crumbly topping. 

  

Cheesy Squash Casserole
  1 tbsp. vegetable oil
  6 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced 
  1 large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced 
  1 tbsp. butter
  1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
  1/2 cup sour cream
  Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  1 sleeve crackers, crushed medium to fine (recommended: Ritz) 

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the squash, onion, and butter until soft. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan, Cheddar, and sour cream. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Place in the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the cracker crumbs evenly over the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sherri said...

This sounds great Ginny! I am always looking for new summer squash recipes.

July 10, 2010 11:23 PM  
Blogger bren said...

It does sound really good, I'll have to try it!

July 16, 2010 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home