Friday, October 12, 2007

Two Delicious Recipes

Here are two delicious recipes I made this week from my Cooking Light magazine. We were huge fans of both of them. Sorry I don't have any pictures, especially of the pizza it was a really pretty pizza!!

Sausage and Pepper Pizza

4 oz hot turkey Italian sausage
1 cup red bell pepper strips
1 cup yellow bell pepper strips (I used all red cause smiths didn't have yellow this week)
1 16oz Bobali pizza crust
1 cup marinara sauce
1 tablespoon no salt added tomato paste
1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used all mozzarella)
1/2 tsp dried oregano

Preheat over to 450 degrees. Coat pan with cooking spray, add sausage and bell peppers to pan; cook 6 minutes or until bell peppers are crisp-tender and sausage is browned.

Place pizza crust on large baking sheet. Combine marinara and tomato paste, stirring with a whisk; spread evenly over crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle with cheeses and oregano; top evenly with sausage mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese melts and curst is lightly browned. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes before slicing.

Split Pea Soup (*this takes 1 hour and 45 minutes of cooking time so plan ahead, I didn't, so we were really hungry by the time it was ready)

5 1/2 cups water
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups green split peas
3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
6 ounces diced Canadian bacon (I used an 8oz package of diced ham)
1 cup finely chopped carrot
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large pot over medium-high heat; bring to simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Stir in carrot, celery, pepper and salt. Simmer uncovered, 45 minutes or until peas are tender and soup thickens, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in juice. Serve immediately.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jami said...

I don't know if you'll check this, but do you use dried split peas?

December 03, 2007 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home