Fresh Tomato Sauce
My mom found this recipe a few years back. It has become one of my favorites...especially in the summertime when the tomatoes are perfectly ripe and you don't want to be standing over a hot stove. I served it over polenta and added some chicken and italian cheese blend on top, however it's also delicious over pasta or even by the spoonful!
Fresh Tomato Sauce
1 can (28 oz.) Italian-style pear-shaped tomatoes, drained (I just use canned, diced tomatoes)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 T. chopped fresh or 1 t. dried basil leaves
1 t. chopped fresh parsley or 1 t. parsley flakes
1 t. grated parmesan cheese
1 t. olive oil
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
6 medium tomatoes, diced (about 4 1/2 cups) *I prefer roma, they are less juicy
3/4 c. pitted kalamata or ripe olives, cut in half
1 T. capers, if desired
Place all ingredients except diced tomatoes, olives, and capers in food processor or blender. Cover and process until smooth. Pour into bowl. Stir in tomatoes, olives, and capers. Use sauce immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.
*note. I just use regular black olives and omit the capers. It's also a good idea to remove the seeds from the fresh tomatoes if possible as it makes it less juicy (otherwise you can just drain them a bit)

1 Comments:
Layne is growing a bunch of tomatoes this year. I'll have to use this recipe!
Post a Comment
<< Home